I have had the great pleasure to know Pam as a colleague and
friend for more than 35 years. Pam,
Kaiser’s first employee, has always been capable, hardworking, enthusiastic,
supportive, and kind.
The firm started as a very small, tightly knit group of young
people. Pam was, by necessity, a
jack-of-all-trades at the time. She did
our slide production (using a specialized typewriter called, if I recall
correctly, a composer), she paid the bills, she answered the phones, she
arranged our travel, she walked Michael’s dogs (!), and yes, I guess she was
the den mother to the young consultants who surrounded her.
Being the model employee that she was, I have no stories about
Pam and her highjinks, for there were none.
However, there are many situations I recall Pam being thrust into by
those of us around her…
… for example, the time when the firm was still operating out of
Michael’s townhouse, and we were in a client meeting in the dining room. The dogs were upstairs, their presence not
known by the client. When the mailman
showed up at the front door, one of the dogs started to bark. Bob Fifer, who was upstairs working with the
dogs at his side, jumped up to quiet them.
Alas, when doing so, he stepped on one of them, which caused a
bloodcurdling yelp to be issued forth.
The look of client’s face was one of utter confusion! A minute or two later, down the stairs
‘limped’ Pam, who apologized for having screamed when she had ‘twisted her
ankle.’
… or the time that, on her 40th birthday, Pam walked into the
conference room for the then-traditional sharing of a birthday cake, only to be
greeted by all of the other Kaiser employees in tee shirts that read ‘I’m not
over the hill’ on the front and ‘I’m not 40’ on the back. Plus, of course, her present, which was a tee
shirt that read ‘I hit the hill’ on the front and ‘I am 40’ on the back.
I certainly look back fondly on many other experiences I’ve
shared with Pam and Jay. Their beautiful
wedding. Watching their son Michael grow
up. Hearing stories of their fantastic
trips to California, France, and Switzerland.
Many wonderful meals, bottles of wine, and conversation on innumerable
topics.
I could go on and on about Pam, but I won’t. Rather, I’ll close by mentioning perhaps
Pam’s most defining characteristic: a positive outlook that causes Pam to think
the best of everyone. I don’t recall
ever hearing Pam say something mean or demeaning about anyone. She has always seen the best in people and
granted them the benefit of the doubt.
That is a really rare quality, one that I’ve prized as her friend and
one that has been invaluable to Kaiser Associates. I know she will be missed by the firm but
will remain a friend to so many with whom she has worked over these last 37+
years.
To Pam — congratulations, thank you, and best wishes for many,
many happy years of retirement!
Lance Pryor
1983-1984 and 1987-1995
No comments:
Post a Comment