Friday, November 30, 2018

Where to start...

For many years Pam and I just spoke (I was based in London).  I didn't actually meet Pam until after I had left my husband and Pam said 'Come to San Francisco', so off I went, travelling on my own for the first time.  I arrived at the bus station near Pam's home and both of us just looked at each other, smiled and said each other's name.  Neither of us had a clue what we looked like.  I would regularly visit Pam and Jay before my trip to DC.

Over time we would meet up in DC, working and sharing a room for a few days each trip.  It was so nice to have company and we were good roomies.  We would plan our nights out,  picking a nice restaurant as a treat.  Typically Pam ordering a vodka and tonic for me, after many confused looks when I tried.  Coming into to watch 'Law and Order', not sure how we got into that habit.  She can pack for a week with carry on luggage only, I don't have that skill.

Pam and I, with others found ourselves in DC at the time of 9/11.   Each morning Pam and I would go out in the dark to talk the FBI agent into letting us into the building so we could update/email the firm about access etc.  This time a British accent was helpful. My parents were not only relieved to see me when I got home, but also thankful to Pam that I was not on my own, as was I.  

Having left the firm Pam and I kept in touch, with visits to London and DC, catch ups by phone and birthday cards. 

Pam has also been brave enough to introduce me to her friends, watching her son play football (soccer), shouting encouragement from the line and recently Pam agreed to meet up with my friend in SF, knowing they would get on  There is never a worry about Pam meeting my family and friends (she is interested in them and joins in whatever is going on), even though she may not get what is being said.  Apparently we talk too fast.

Over the 20 ish years Pam and I have known each other she has not changed, still smiles (mostly), remains calm and carries on.  We have shared fun and not so fun times in our lives, but our friendship has remained. 

Pam is great company and a lovely friend.  It is always good to see her.

It has been wonderful to work with Pam and be a little part of her world outside work.

Pam, enjoy retirement, not getting up early to work DC hours with the difficult commute to your office...........

Take care
Nicola xx

NICOLA O'SHEA

No comments:

Post a Comment