It's easy to remember many of the reasons Pam was so appreciated
during my tenure with Kaiser from 1982 to 2000.
She was the epitome of competence.
A jack of all trades. A calming
influence. The adult in the room among
prima donnas. The ultimate loyalist,
putting the firm first and rarely if ever voicing her own needs. A self-starter and self-manager: I often told
her I could tell how great a job she was doing by how little I heard from
her. 100% reliable -- I can't ever
remember her calling in sick, or missing a meeting or deadline. The firm's de facto accountant and CFO,
without a CPA or MBA. Steady, smart,
mature, humble, fun -- all those words come to mind when I think of Pam in
those days.
But when I dig deep and try to get to the core, the one
thing among things, that we most valued in Pam, it was her pure, absolute
decency. She didn't have a mean, or
jealous, or angry cell in her body or mind:
She genuinely liked everyone she encountered inside and outside of the
firm, rooted for them, tried to help them succeed, and empathized with them
whether they succeeded or failed. If I
try hard, I can think of others I've met in my 39 years in business who matched
Pam in some of her other traits, but when it comes to her fundamentally decent
humanity, Pam remains alone at the top of the list. Pam, may that decency serve you, your loved
ones, and everyone you encounter in your retirement as well as it served us at
Kaiser -- you've earned it, and you deserve it.
-- Bob
BOB FIFER
No comments:
Post a Comment